Minority Exemptions and Multiculturalism
- In what ways can dominant cultures disadvantage minority groups in society? Try to think of examples.
- What can we say in favour of granting members of minority groups exemptions from generally applicable laws? Are such arguments plausible?
- In what ways might multiculturalism be bad for members of various groups? Does this provide us with a compelling argument against minority exemptions?
- What dilemma does the objection from general applicability pose to claims for minority exemptions? How should advocates of these exemptions respond?
- Does the fairness objection establish that we should reject minority exemptions? How might defenders of minority exemptions respond to this objection?