Basic Income and Distributive Justice
- What are the distinguishing features of basic income? How does this policy differ from traditional systems of unemployment benefits? What are the likely effects of introduction a basic income?
- What are Rawls’s principles of justice and what arguments does he offer for them? Are his arguments plausible? Do these principle support basic income?
- What are the demands of democratic equality and what arguments does Anderson offer for them? Are these arguments plausible? Do these principles support basic income?
- How problematic is it that basic income gives people “something for nothing”?
- How forceful is the entitlement objection? Does Nozick’s example of Wilt Chamberlain provide us with good reasons to uphold the objection?