Affirmative Action and Discrimination
- What is direct cognitive discrimination? What is direct non-cognitive discrimination? And what is indirect discrimination? How do these forms of discrimination effect people’s prospects in current labour markets?
- How might we appeal to concerns about wrongful discrimination to support affirmative action? How plausible are arguments of this kind?
- Can affirmative action enhance diversity and social integration? If so, does this give us a reason to endorse its use? How weighty is this reason?
- Is it always wrongful to discriminate on the basis of gender or race? Are there any plausible accounts of what’s wrong with discrimination that undermine the case for affirmative action?
- What is the strongest objection to the use of affirmative action? How damaging is this objection?