Immigration and the Political Community
- Which freedoms do migration restrictions set back? How can we make an argument for the moral importance of these freedoms?
- Is the freedom to migrate a basic freedom or a wider freedom? What are the implications of this for states’ duties to protect the freedom to migrate?
- What is the brain drain? Is its existence supported by empirical evidence and, if so, does this justify restricting migration? How else might states respond to the brain drain?
- Under what conditions do arguments appealing to security, the economy, or culture provide us with sound reasons to oppose open borders? Can these justify extensive restrictions on migration?
- All things considered, is the case for largely open borders persuasive?