Chapter 14 Learning Objectives:
- Distinguish between basic social research and evaluation research.
- Identify the six phases of policymaking and the type of evaluation research that is associated with each phase.
- Describe the objectives of formative evaluation, process evaluation, and summative evaluation.
- Discuss major methodological issues in evaluation research, including the role of theory and relative importance of internal versus external validity.
- Identify the optimum research designs for evaluating existing and new programs with full coverage, existing programs that provide partial coverage, and new programs that provide partial coverage.
- Explain how the social and political context of evaluation research present unique methodological challenges.