Chapter 12 Learning Objectives:
- Describe the range and potential uses of available data.
- Explain general methodological issues in available-data research, including finding appropriate data and assessing validity and completeness.
- Distinguish between descriptive and analytical history, including their reliance on primary and secondary sources.
- Explain and give an example of how historical events lend themselves to multiple interpretations.
- Describe the steps in content analysis and apply them to a research topic.
- Evaluate available-data analysis as a general approach to social research, identifying its strengths and limitations.