Chapter 3 Learning Objectives:
- Express social scientists’ ethical obligations with respect to data collection and analysis.
- Explain the four major ethical issues in the treatment of research participants: potential harm, informed consent, deception, and privacy invasion.
- Be familiar with federal regulations and professional guidelines concerning the ethical treatment of research participants.
- Apply the process of ethical decision-making to your own research.
- Explain why social scientists must be aware of the influence of values on their work.
- Describe social scientists’ ethical responsibilities with regard to the application of their research findings outside the scientific community.