Chapter 2 Learning Objectives:
- Define scientific knowledge in terms of description, explanation, prediction, and understanding.
- Distinguish between deductive and inductive reasoning.
- Describe how deductive and inductive logic are used in research to move between theory and data.
- Describe how empiricism, objectivity, and control guide scientists’ collection and evaluation of evidence.
- Recognize the limits of scientific knowledge and the challenges to a natural science model of social science.