Human Rights and Human Security
- Our goal in this chapter is to provide you with an introduction to the twin topics of human rights and human security.
- The promotion of human rights has become a leading issue of global politics.
- This chapter explores history of the topic from its European origins to globalized version of the early twenty-first century. It examines some of the motivations of human rights groups, the tools they employ and the methods that states have used to promote human rights.
- You will learn about state responsibility to intervene in other states that abuse human rights.
Key concepts and terms
- Arab Spring
- Charter rights
- Common security
- Human development
- Human rights
- Human security
- Humanitarian intervention
- Humanitarian intervention and state sovereignty
- Liberal account of rights
- Natural law
- Origins of the term human rights
- Origins of the term human security
- Standards of civilization
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights