By the end of the chapter, the student will be able to do the following:
- Understand how the United States incarcerates more people than any other country without having a higher crime rate.
- Explain how institutional racism permeates the criminal justice system.
- Express how the high incarceration rates disproportionately impact communities and families of color.
- Name and describe the economic and political drivers of high incarceration rates.
- Explain how incarceration rates and experiences of women of color differ from men of color.